Sunday, May 18, 2008

Scary revisions and charming inmates

First, an update. We are trying our hardest to get the Purple Issue out as soon as possible. It should be up and running by the end of this month. Hopefully.

Second, why our revisions so scary? I have no problem sitting down and writing new stories, chapters, scenes, or maybe a naughty limerick or two. But, writing a second draft seems so much more daunting. Draft is probably a better term than revision. I can do revisions. I sit down write a story, then go back and add in all the missed words and correct awkward phrasing. When it comes to writing a second draft, something that will, most likely, look drastically different from the first, I’m terrified. I’ve been working on a novel for over two years now. This past January, I finished my first draft and handed a few copies out to trusted friends and mentors. I received some really good notes and know pretty well where I’m lacking and what needs to be changed. No big deal, right? Yet, it’s approaching mid-afternoon on Sunday and I have yet to turn my laptop on or look at the legal pad where I have accumulated all those notes. I was supposed to be working on the novel starting Friday afternoon. Is it becoming too real? Am I worried that after the second draft I will have to write a third, fourth, fifth to point where I have revised my novel to oblivion and have to scratch the entire thing and start over? Or am I just being lazy both in my revising, finding books to read and movies to watch instead of actually working, and in my blogging, asking a stream of rhetorical questions which I would never let my students get away with?

Anyway.

Finally in this random blog, my summer vacation lasted a total of two days and I am back at the prison teaching. I should have some pretty interesting posts about these classes. Last fall, I taught at the men’s unit. This summer, I have two classes with the men (One class is creative writing which I am really excited about.) and one class on the women’s unit. Walking into a class of twenty-four women, at least half older than myself, was quite an interesting experience. Honestly, it was the best first day of class I have ever had. All the women know each other and most have already taken classes together, so we didn’t have to go through that awkwardness of not wanting to look foolish in front of people we don’t know. They also have the excitement and desire of upper level English students. They can’t afford to fail. Most of them won’t even accept C’s or B’s because they feel the need to prove themselves much more acutely than my students in the community. And, they will actually work for the A’s, not just expect them. Again, different from my community classes. In the weeks to come, I should have plenty of interesting experiences and ruminations. I have much more freedom with my female students because it’s medium security, not maximum like the men. Meaning, I have access to a DVD player, CD player, TV's, and possible even projectors. So, we’ll see what happens.

Sorry for the month and half long hiatus in posts. We should be back on top of things within the month.

No comments: